THIS LIST IS HARDLY COMPLETE. THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF BOOKS ABOUT SEX ON AMAZON BUT THESE ARE THE ONES THAT I KEEP ON MY BOOKSHELVES. I ALSO WOULD REFER YOU TO JOAN PRICE’S COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF RESOURCES IN HER BOOK THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO SEX AFTER 50.
SEXUAL TRAUMA AND ABUSE
- Beyond Surviving: The Final Stage in Recovery from Sexual Abuse by Rachel Grant Rachel Grant has numerous outstanding resources available on her website: rachelgrantcoaching.com including Podcasts, a very active and large Facebook Group, “Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse”, and group and individual support.
- Healing Sex: A Mind-Body Approach to Healing Sexual Traumaby Stacey Haines, Cleis Press (2007)
- In an Unspoken Voice: How the Body Releases Trauma and Restores Goodnessby Peter Levine (North Atlantic Books 2010)
- Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Bodyby David Emerson & Elizabeth Hopper (North Atlantic Books, 2011)
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind and Body in the Healing of Traumaby Boessel van Der Kolk (Penguin Books, 2015 Reprint)
- Waking The Tiger: Healing Traumaby Peter Levine (North Atlantic Books 1997)
- When the Body Says No, Exploring the Stress Disease Connection by Gabor Maté, MD (John Wiley & Sons 2003)
Recommended Trauma Therapies/Workshops
- Somatic Experiencing, www.traumahealing.org for a list of certified practitioners in the US and internationally
- EMDR International www.emdria.site-ym.com for a list of certified EMDR practitioners in the US and internationally
- Smart Body Smart Mind, www.irenelyon.com A comprehensive online workshop for healing the nervous system with advanced SE practitioner Irene Lyons.
- Come as You Are: The Surprising New Science that will Transform Your Sex Life, by Emily Nagoski, Ph.D. (Simon and Schuster 2015).
- Our Bodies Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era,by Boston Woman’s Health Collective (Touchstone 2017).
- Pussy: A Reclamation: by Regena Thomashauer (Hayhouse Publishing 2016)
- Sex for One: The Joy of Self Lovingby Betty Dodson, Ph.D. (Harmony 1996)
- She Comes First: The Thinking Man’s Guide to Pleasuring a Woman, by Ian Kerner (William Morrow Paperbacks 2009).
- Slow Sex: The Art and Craft of the Female Orgasm by Nicole Daedone (Hatchette Book Group 2011)
- Vagina, by Naomi Wolf (Virago Press 2013)
- What do Woman Want: Adventures in the Science of Female Desire by Daniel Bergner (Harper Collins 2013)
- Woman’s Anatomy of Arousal: Secret Maps to Buried Treasureby Sheri Winston (Mango Garden Press 2009)
Recommended Workshops and Classes
- The Empowered Woman’s Guide to Orgasmic Bliss: Xanet Pailet, www.powerofpleasure.com
- Body Talk Workshop: Betty Dodson, Ph.D, www.dodsonandross.com
- Jade Pleasure: Layla Martin, www.laylamartin.com
- The Yoni Temple Retreat: Ashley Apple, www.ashleyapple.com
- Cockfidence: The Definitive Guide to Being the Man You Want to Be and Driving Women Wild by Celeste Hirschman and Danielle Harel
- Not Always in the Mood: The New Science of Men, Sex & Relationships by Sarah Hunter Murray (Rowman and Littlefield 2019)
- Passionista: The Empowered Woman’s Guide to Pleasuring a Man by Ian Kerner, Ph.D. (William Morrow, 2008)
- The Ultimate Guide to Prostate Pleasure by Charlie Glickman, Ph.D. (Cleis Press 2013)
MOTHERHOOD AND SEX
- Mothering from the Center: Tapping Your Body’s Natural Energy for Pregnancy, Birth and Parenting,by Tami Lynn Kent (Atria Books 2013).
- Sexy Mamas: Keeping Your Sex Life Alive While Raising Kidsby Cathy Winks (New World Library 2004)
MENOPAUSE AND SEX
- The Ultimate Guide to Sex After 50: How to Maintain—or Regain—a Spicy, Satisfying Sex Lifeby Joan Price (Cleis Press 2014)
- The Secret Pleasures of Menopause: A Guide to Creating Vibrant Health through Pleasure by Christiane Northrup, M.D. (Hay House 2009)
- The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep and Sex Drive, by Sarah Gottfried, M.D., (Scribner 2014)
- The Female Brain by Louanne Brizandine, M.D., (Harmony 2007)
- Tantric Sex and Menopause: Practices for Spiritual and Sexual Renewal by Diane Richardson (Destiny Books 2018)
SEXUAL EXPLORATION FOR COUPLES
- Guide To Getting It Onby Paul Joannides (Goofy Foot Press 2013)
- Coming Together: Embrace Your Core Desires for Sexual Fulfillment and Long-Term Compatibility by Danielle Harel and Celeste Hirschman (Somatica Press 2019)
- Making Love Real: The Intelligent Couple’s Guide to Lasting Intimacy and Passion by Danielle Harel and Celeste Hirschman (Somatica Press 2015)
- Mating in Captivity: Unlocking Erotoic Intelligence by Esther Perel (Harper Collins 2015)
- The Little Black Book of Sex Positions by Dan and Jennifer Bartichi (Skyhorse Publishing 2013)
- Science for Sexual Happiness: A Guide to Reclaiming Erotic Pleasures, by Caffyn Jesse (Eros Spirit 2016)
- Succulent Sex Craft: Your Hands-On Guide to Erotic Play & Practiceby Sheri Winston (Mango Garden 2014)
- The State of Affairs: Rethinking Infidelity by Esther Perel (Harper Collins 2017)
There are a number of really fun and creative sex phone apps for couples:
- 69 Places
- Dirty Game—Hot Truth or Dare
- The Art of Sexual Ecstasy: The Path of Sacred Sexuality for Western Lovers by Margot Anand (Jeremy P. Tarcher Inc, 1989)
- The Art of Everyday Ecstasy: The Seven Tantric Keys for Bringing Passion, Spirit and Joy into Every Part of Your Lifeby Margot Anand (Harmony 1999)
- The Art of Sexual Magic: Cultivating Sexual Energy to Transform Your Lifeby Margot Anand (TarcherPerigree 1996)
- The Couples Kama Sutra: The Guide to Deepening Your Intimacy with Incredible Sex by Elizabeth McGrath (Sonoma Press 2016)
- Tantric Sex for Women: A Guide for Lesbian, Bi, Hetero and Solo Loversby Christa Schulte (Krug & Schadenberg 2005)
- Urban Tantra: Sacred Sex for the Twenty-First Century by Barbara Carrellas (Celestial Arts 2007)
Recommended Tantra Schools
- Ecstatic Living Institute www.ecstaticliving.com
- Source School of Tantra Yoga www.sourcetantra.com
- Quodoshka www.qoudoshka.org
- Urban Tantra www.barbaracarrellas.com
SEXUALITY WORKSHOPS AND RECOMMENDED PRACTITIONERS
- Ecstatic Living Institute www.ecstaticliving.com In addition to offering Tantra workshops, ELI also offers sexuality workshops such as Ecstatic Lover (created by Xanet Pailet and Kai Wu), Ecstatic Touch, and Ecstatic Relationships.
- Human Awareness Institute www.hai.org Offers sexuality workshops for individuals and couples
- Holistic Pelvic Care, www.wildfeminine.com Offers training and a list of approved practitioners.
- Sexological Body Work, www.sexologicalbodyworkers.org Offers a list of certified sexological bodyworkers in the US and Internationally.
- Somatica Institute, www.somaticainstitute.com Offers training in the Somatica® Method of Sex and Intimacy Coaching, Couples Workshops, and Individual Coaching by Certified Somatica coaches.